MATCHA GREEN TEA AND WHITE CHOCOLATE CAKE / BEGINNINGS

Wednesday 30 December 2015



Since it is still officially the Christmas holidays (read: before the inevitable renewed health regime kicks in) so I opted to start with an easy (and fatty) loaf cake: matcha green tea and white chocolate.

Matcha is a finely ground powered green tea - often used in traditional Japanese tea ceremonies. In the last few years there have been all kinds of articles exposing the alleged health benefits of matcha tea so you may have heard about it. I'm not usually one to drink it on a daily basis, to be honest, but I did have a small container of some in my pantry. Probably from last year's renewed health regime. On it's own, it's very bitter. In baking, however, the bitterness levels out and is balanced quite nicely by sweetness so don't be afraid to use heaping tablespoons of it. It's a somewhat odd/ bitter taste for tea but you do get used to it. I can't remember the first time I tried it in baking but I do remember thinking it was strange to put tea into something delicious and sweet like a cake. Now, however, it's all the rage. Matcha this, matcha-that. Anyway, do give it a try and I promise, it's actually super tasty and lovely.

I happened to have the Aiya ceremonial tea so opted to use that in the following recipes. You can get cheaper culinary-grades for baking - as opposed to the more expensive ceremonial grades.

The recipe I used was from Maori Murota's beautiful book that I received for Christmas, Tokyo Cult Recipes

Apparently this loaf/ cake is known as おやつ ("oyatsu") or snack food. To me, it feels somewhat dense so I would have it for dessert / with afternoon tea.





MAKES 1 LOAF CAKE
15 MINS PREPARATION TIME 40 MINS COOKING TIME


3 eggs
softened butter
the same weight as the eggs
caster (superfine) sugar
the same weight as the eggs plain (all-purpose) flour the same weight as the eggs 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon matcha (green tea powder)
70 g (21⁄2 oz) white chocolate chips


Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F), and butter and flour a 19 x 19 x 8 cm (71⁄2 x 71⁄2 x 31⁄4 in) loaf tin.
Weigh the eggs, then weigh out the same amount of butter, sugar and flour.
Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar and butter together for 5 minutes, or until light and creamy.
Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing each one in well before adding the next. Sift in the flour, baking powder and matcha.
Combine using a spatula. Stir through the white chocolate chips, then pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes.
The cake is cooked when a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.

RECIPE: Tokyo Cult Recipes by Maori Murota, 2015 

**I weighed my eggs whilst still in the shell and then weighed out the equal amount (170grams) in butter, sugar and flour.**

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top